COLOMBO, March 22nd — We’re receiving continuous reports regarding illegal Dog and Cat meat trade around the globe, but “ Yulin Dog Meat Festival in China” took very special place, because the brutal practice of torturing dogs before slaughtering them for meat during the festival season. About more than 10,000 dogs and cats are expected to be killed and eaten during the controversial 10-day festival in Yulin. Several dogs are crowded together and denied proper food, water and veterinary care as, confused and terrified , they wait to die.
The local government says the festival does not have official sponsorship but rather is arranged by private organizations. Offering dog meat for human consumption is lawful in China, with an expected 10 million dogs murdered for human consumption consistently.
According to the poll published by the state news agency Xinhua showed that 64% of people aged 16 to 50 would support a permanent end to the Yulin dog meat festival. Another 51.7%, inculding Yulin residents, wanted the dog meat trade banned completely, with 69.5% claiming to have never eaten dog meat.
The congressman Alcee Hastings introduced a bill H.Res.30 — 115th Congress (2017-2018) issued for condemning the Dog Meat Festival in Yulin, China, and urging China to end the dog meat trade because,
- is a spectacle of extreme animal cruelty,
- is a commercial activity not grounded in Chinese history,
- is opposed by a majority of the Chinese people,
- and threatens global public health.
And it urges:
- the government of China and the Yulin authorities to ban the killing and eating of dogs as part of Yulin’s festival and to enforce China’s food safety laws regulating the processing and sale of animal products and the 2011 Agriculture Ministry of China Regulation on the Quarantine of Dogs at the Place of Origin requiring one certificate for one dog on trans-provincial transport trucks,
- and the National People’s Congress of China to enact an animal anticruelty law that bans the dog meat trade.
Time is ticking and the enormous killing of dogs and cats are relied upon to happen a seemingly endless amount of time so we should get our voices united and raised not simply to spare the lives but rather spare the expectation in mankind – to be a piece of an empathetic world where we as a whole meet up to stand up and stand up for all innocent life, not only the life of humankind. In the event that we dismiss and overlook the cries/pleas of these innocents, then we really have moved in the opposite direction of being human”kind”.